Retweet

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

25 Days of Thanksgiving–Day 3

I am thankful for the color of the Autumn leaves.

I’m also frustrated that I can’t explain what their beauty means in my heart so people can understand what I see.

The names of the colors don’t seem adequate to describe their beauty.

Brown. Gold. Orange. Yellow. Green.

Accurate, yes, but also plain, simple, boring.

So, I need to break out my thesaurus to help me give voice to what I’m feeling as I walk through the woods in November.

The leaves are a riot of color: auburn, ginger, golden, emerald, hoary. Well, you get the idea, I hope.

The changing colors, the leaves falling to the ground, the smell of leaf smoke in my nostrils, the haze of smoke from burning leaves hanging in the air, all this stirs my heart because I know that soon the ground will be swathed with snow. There will soon be a frostiness in the air that will bring to the senses of touch and smell the winter holiday season – at least to me. (Gotta love thesauruses!)

Part of the reason I’m thankful for the leaves changing color is the simple fact that it is clear evidence that there is change. This world is not standing still. It is moving forward. But it is also moving forward steadily and according to a purpose and with order.

That’s comforting to me. The world isn’t falling apart, even though it might feel like it when my life momentarily spins out of control. When I don’t know where the money is going to come to pay this month’s bills, or when I don’t know if someone I love is going to be healed of sickness, I can step outside into the frosty air and walk among the auburn and golden leaves and know that God is there with me. He’s taking care of this planet that is spinning in its ordered orbit around the sun and He has my life in His arms.

So, this is why I’m thankful on this Day 3 of 25 days of Thanksgiving.

What are you thankful for today?

No comments: