Retweet

Friday, November 5, 2010

25 Days of Thanksgiving-Day5

I am thankful for classical music. I started to really get into classical music in high school. The music of John Williams that he composed for the Star Wars movies was what started it, really. I wanted to find more music like his and since the London Symphony Orchestra performed his music on the Star Wars soundtracks, I picked up a recording from them. I don’t remember what it was, but I know that I soon found the recordings of Wagner’s music – The Flying Dutchman overture – and there was no going back for me.

In college I sang in a chamber choir – the Kammerchor of Concordia University Wisconsin, directed by Ken Kosche - and my classical music world opened wide.

During my seminary days, I hosted a classical music radio program at KFUO Classic 99 (sadly, this award winning radio station is no more). Now I host The Classical Stream on the internet.

There is one piece of music that is my very favorite. It is a piece I never grow tired of listening to. It is Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis, composed by Ralph Vaughn Williams. It is a very popular piece of music, used most recently in the movie Master and Commander: Far Side of the World. It has a depth to it that reveals something new just about every time I listen to it.

The theme by Thomas Tallis is from the 16th century and is used for at least one hymn that I have sung on Sunday morning in church (I Heard the Voice of Jesus Say in Lutheran Worship, 1981).

Classical music has a way of getting into my soul and helping me be thankful for being alive. It provides the soundtrack to much of my life. It helps me worship God. It calms me when I need peace. It excites me at celebrations like Christmas and the Fourth of July. It provides the background for a romantic dinner. It takes me away to other worlds while walking in the woods.

I am thankful for classical music. How about you?

No comments: