Retweet

Sunday, November 7, 2010

25 Days of Thanksgiving-Day 7

On this seventh day of Thanksgiving it is appropriate that I note that I am thankful for the freedom to worship.

This morning I – as I read on Twitter this afternoon – exercised by 1st Amendment right and worshiped at the church of my choice.

I used the “extra” hour of sleep to get the family up to worship together. We even picked up my mom at her house. We all sat in the same pew. We sang “For All the Saints” and “Thine the Amen, Thine the Praise.” We heard about saints who have gone before us and are now in heaven because of the gift of God’s grace. We celebrated at the table of the Lord.

I am thankful that the Founding Fathers felt it important to add these words to the foundation of the United States:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof….

I am thankful that in the United States of America, I have the freedom to worship God.

But I am even more thankful that God has given me the freedom to worship Him. He has set me free from my sin, from death, and from the power of the devil  by the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

I take this freedom – both these freedoms – seriously and will fight, if need be, to the death to keep them for me and for my family and for my country.

I am thankful for the freedom of worship.

No comments: