Retweet

Thursday, December 2, 2010

25 Days of Christmas – Day 2

Silent Night, Holy Night

The First Noel

O Holy Night

It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas

White Christmas

These are some of my favorite Christmas songs. I would even go so far as to say that the Christmas season just wouldn’t seem right or complete without these songs.

I like to sing them – alone and with other people. I like to listen to them – in all kinds of different genres. Some of my favorite Christmas songs are more appropriate for a worship service, others are more general in nature.

The Christmas season just wouldn’t be the same without its music. No other holiday has a specific type of music integrally attached to it like Christmas has its carols.

I think this may be one of the main reasons Christmas is so widely known and celebrated. I think people learn best through song. When I can’t memorize a long passage of text or learn the periodic table of elements, I can still remember the lyrics to a song that I first heard 30 years ago.

Music can bring peace to heart like no other thing in the world and peace is at the core of what Christmas is all about – peace on earth, good will towards men.

Music accompanies all our celebrations – birthdays, weddings, coronations, visits by heads of state.

And when the Son of God was born, music filled the skies that same night and our hearts every celebration of that anniversary since.

No comments: