Retweet

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

25 Days of Christmas – Day 15

ebenezer'sLet’s talk about the coffee house. And yes, I’ll have to mention Starbucks but this isn’t really an ode to Starbucks (although I am a fan).

The coffee house is – as you probably have guessed – a place where you can get a cup of coffee, or tea, or something along those lines. The good ones have a variety of choices so as to offer something to all people.

But it is more than just a place to drink a beverage.

The coffee house is a place to sit, relax, think, plan, talk with other people (whether face to face or via the internet) and even worship (like at Ebenezer’s in Washington D.C.).

I realize that for some people, Starbucks has given the “Coffee House” a bad name. The complaint I most often hear about Starbucks is, “I don’t want to pay $4 for a cup of coffee.” The truth is you won’t, really. I visit my local Starbucks usually once a week. The most I’ve ever paid for a cup of coffee – a “tall” or 8 oz. cup – has been $1.75. (However, I bring my own cup to get a ten cent discount and use my Starbucks Gold Card to get free refills).

And while the coffee is good – to me, at least – I really go for the atmosphere. I can sit, watch people, talk with people, read the newspaper, watch the world go by, or surf the internet. Being with other people is the best part of the coffee house experience. And this is where a locally-owned coffee house can really excel. I can sit and talk with people from my neighborhood, church, and community. We live in the same place, are going to similar experiences, and share a cup of coffee and have great conversations.

At Christmastime, the coffee house can be a great place to take a cup of coffeebreak from the obligatory “hustle and bustle” of the season. At some coffee houses you can even get some shopping done (gift cards and coffee cups make great stocking stuffers!). Sit down with a friend (old or new) and talk, share, and find joy over a cup of coffee at the coffee house.

1 comment:

Billy Coffey said...

Great post, Ed. Totally agree. Coffee houses are some of the best places in the world to find stories. To me, the coffee is secondary and the company is first.