Retweet

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Journey to Calvary: "Remember"


Note: In 2003 I was asked to write the Lutheran Hour Ministries Lenten Devotional Booklet titled “Journey to Calvary.” Over the next few days, I’ll be reposting on this blog the last four devotions. – Ed

“So my spirit grows faint within me; my heart within me is dismayed. I remember the days of long ago; I meditate on all your works and consider what your hands have done.” - Psalm 143:4-5

Jesus’ last week. Everything he had been doing for the past three years or so has been leading up to this last week. And now he was at the last night. So much to say, so much to do. It would not surprise me if this portion of Psalm 143 was going through Jesus’ mind on that last Thursday evening.

His hands broke the bread and passed it out to his disciples. His hands held up the cup and he announced that the wine it held was now his blood.

These hands that broke bread and held the cup would, 12 hours later, be nailed to a cross. Body broken by nails. Blood shed.

Why?

Love. Jesus gives the sacrament meal of his Supper to his Church out of love. He died on the cross because he loves us. Forgiveness of all our sins. This is what we receive in the Sacrament of the Lord’s Supper. This is what Jesus gives us when he died on the cross.

“Do this in remembrance of me.”

Remember.

Application: Attend worship tonight. If you’ve never taken the Lord’s Supper at the church you attend, talk with the pastor beforehand (you may want to arrive a little earlier than usual).

Prayer: Heavenly Father, may I never forget the love of Jesus. On the night before his death, he showed great love to me. Help me to show love to others. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments: