Retweet

Monday, April 12, 2010

A True Man

"Behold, there is a man of God in this city, and he is a man who is held in honor; all that he says comes true. So now let us go there. Perhaps he can tell us the way we should go." – 1 Samuel 9:8

That’s the kind of man I want to be. I want to be a man that it can be said of, “Let’s find him. He’s a man of God in this city. Everything he says comes true. He can tell us the way we should go.”

I work every day – at least to a certain extent – on becoming more and more that kind of man.

Some days go better than others. Today, while being a day late on posting this devotion, I’m being very deliberate in my attempt to be a man of God.

Some of the spiritual disciplines I employed today were:

Reading and meditating on God’s Word. I read five chapters of the Bible (1 Samuel 13-17). I posted some thoughts on my twitter page (part of the meditation).

I prayed this morning. That sentence is five words long, and doesn’t seem to do justice with what prayer should be. But it also tells me that you can pack a lot of stuff into five little words!

I tried to encourage some members of my church that have email and Facebook accounts with a note this morning (which I will post on this blog in a few minutes).

I’d like to do this every day, but I don’t. I don’t know why I don’t. I feel so much better and stronger when I do. I’ll add that to my prayers.

Becoming a man of God that people can come to for truth is why I started True Men Ministries 5 years ago. We’re not the biggest Christian ministry today – actually we’re probably one of the smallest. But I sense that God has something for me to do through this ministry.

God also has something in mind for you as well. When Jesus died on the cross He forgave your sins. When Jesus rose from the dead He gave you a new life. Now Jesus calls you to a new purpose in this life.

Do you hear the voice of Jesus calling? It is saying, “Who will go and work in the ‘fields’ today?”  How will you answer? Maybe you’ll start your own ministry. Maybe you can connect more deeply with your church. Maybe you can simply pray (yet there’s nothing simple about prayer – it is powerful!).

As you grow in your calling, I pray it can be said of you, “there is a man or woman of God in this city, and he or she is a one who is held in honor; all that he or she says comes true. So now let us go there. Perhaps he or she can tell us the way we should go.”

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ed,

Me too, I've read that Scripture before...never saw it that way. Thanks for sharing!

Peace,
Jay