Retweet

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Evangelicals Attacking Evangelicals

The new “thing” these days is for Christians who write blogs and other-venue articles to attack other Christian groups.

Especially if the other groups are established churches and denominations.

A recent article was excited to point out that the new atheists are not much different from evangelicals. Both are avid activists trying to covert others to their beliefs.

Yeah, ok. I get it. I understand what you’re trying to say.

But really, do we need to keep pointing this out?

Atheists disagree with those who believe in God – although we usually only hear of them disagreeing with Christians (what about Muslims and Jews?).

Christians disagree with atheists. I get that. I understand it.

I’m just tired of reading established and widely-respected Christian journals and journalists pointing out that Christians need to get away from hating and demagoguery.

Sure we do. No argument from me on that!

However, based on what I read in the Christian blogs and in the magazines and e-zines – this is ALL that Christian writers and Churches and Denominations actually do – hate and demagogue!

I do NOT agree with that at all.

Lutherans, Roman Catholics, Baptists, Methodists – and Christians in general – do far, far more than just criticize ABC Family Channel, atheists, politicians, and anyone else they disagree with. In fact, I would not be surprised if that kind of things gets less than 1% of all the time spent on what Christians actually do!

A Christian – by definition – is someone who has faith in Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. They believe that Jesus Christ died and rose again from the dead to forgive their sin and give them new life – both here and now and soon-to-be in heaven.

A Christian takes seriously what Jesus says, including but not limited to:

Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you…. – Matthew 5:44

‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ – Matthew 22:39

A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. – John 13:34

And Christians are so excited and joyed by this that they want to share this Good News with the people that they meet every day!

I’d like to read more about Christians doing this. Is that possible? Because I know that there are far more Christians doing this than is indicated by the blogs and articles I read.

No comments: