Retweet

Saturday, June 13, 2009

First Day of Summer Vacation

Friday night was an excellent celebration of 8 young men and women who are moving on to high school in the fall. I’ve been honored and privileged to be a part of their life and education for the last three years.

Yesterday was the last day of their 8th grade year and the last day of school. School’s out for the summer!

My oldest son slept in this morning. Got up about 9:00 a.m. It took him until 1:41 p.m. to utter those age-old words that I think every thirteen year old  says near the beginning of summer vacation.

“I’m bored.”

That got me thinking about boredom. I just looked at a topic index for Nave’s Topical Bible and boredom isn’t on the list. The closest thing is “boring the ear” and that is about putting rings through the earlobes.

But while the word doesn’t show up in most English translations of the Bible, I think the topic is covered 2 Samuel 11. While Israel’s army was off fighting the Ammonites at Rabbah, David stayed home. He was lying around one evening then got up and walked around the patio of his home. That’s when he saw Bathsheba. The rest is history. Adultery, murder, death.

Had David been where he was supposed to be, doing what he was supposed to be doing – being a man after God’s own heart – none of the pain, suffering and death would have happened.

David knew that he should follow in the ways of the Lord. But he let himself get into a situation where he could get bored. He wasn’t doing what God wanted him to do.

If we follow God’s ways, we will never get bored, right? I dont’ think so. I think that in a perfect world that would be true, but not in the real word.

However, if I find myself getting bored, I’ll seek out God in His Word and listen for His will in my life.

So what did I do with my son who said “I’m bored”? I got him involved in the tech ministry at church. He isn’t bored anymore!

No comments: