Retweet

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Becoming the Lord’s Prayer

Recorded in Matthew 6 and Luke 11, what we call the “Lord’s Prayer” is really the “Disciples’ Prayer.” Jesus didn’t pray this prayer (His prayer is recorded in John 17).  He gave it to us to pray.

In my life, prayer often becomes too memorize, too formulaic. I love the Lord’s Prayer, but it has become so ingrained in my mind that I can say it without consciously knowing what I’m praying, and that bothers me. I won’t stop praying the Lord’s Prayer but I will make greater effort to actually pray it like I mean it.

But I also want to take this concept of prayer further in my life. Instead of just something I say, I want prayer to be something I am.

I want to be the Lord’s Prayer. Everything I do, say, think, and feel I want captured by the love of Jesus Christ.

When Jesus prays, “ Father … I have revealed you to those whom you gave me out of the world. They were yours; you gave them to me and they have obeyed your word” I want to be that kind of person.

When Jesus prays, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me” I want to be that kind of person.

I want to be the prayer that Jesus’ prays. In other words, I want to be used by Jesus to bring His Gospel to the world. I want to be able to do that in the things that I say or don’t say, the things I do or don’t do. In everything fiber of my being I want to be an instrument of the Good News of Jesus.

LiveJournal Tags: ,,,

No comments: