Retweet

Friday, February 15, 2008

What is love?

I'm working on my sermon for this weekend. I don't really write sermons in the traditional, modern sense. I guess, in a way, I'm a modern working in a post-modern way. Len Sweet might have something to say about that. I write sermons by sitting in my chair with my laptop, quiet music from XM on (Audio Visions), and three or four different web site windows open. At the moment I have Len Sweet's "Links" page open, AfterHim.com open, and Precipice Magazine open. In a moment, I'm sure, I'll have BibleGatway.com open as well - even though I have a paper-and-leather Bible on the floor next to my chair.

This weekend, I'm working off of John 3:1-17, with emphasis on John 3:16. The church where I preach - Redeemer Lutheran in Ontario, California - is going through Max Lucado's 3:16 - the Church Experience. We're finishing up the first week of small group studies and the message I'm working on is about God's love for us.

I use the word "love" a lot. I love my wife. I love my kids. But I also love pizza. I love golf. I love to sleep. I think that the word "love" might be used a little too much!

When we say we love something, that can mean several things. But when God says that he loves the world - he backs it up with a powerful definition.

"For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son!" God's love for us means that he saves us from sin, death, and the power of the devil with the sacrificial death of his only Son, Jesus Christ!

That's the message I'm working on for this weekend. If you want to hear how it comes out, check out
http://www.redeemer4me.com/ Saturday night at 6pm, or Sunday morning at 8 or 10:30 (Pacific time). It should be online in podcast form by Wednesday, February 20.

No comments: