Retweet

Monday, August 15, 2011

How Long?


Image courtesy of photobucket.com
This morning I read Psalm 13. King David asks a question that I have asked myself from time to time.
“How long, O Lord?”
I notice that David says, “Will you forget me forever?”
He doesn’t ask, “Have you forgotten me?” David is feeling that God actually has actually has already forgotten him.


Have you ever felt that way? It’s a pretty devastating feeling. I imagine it is about as lonely as a person can feel.
But as I kept reading this Psalm, silently shouting, “Preach it, David! Right on, David! Yeah! That’s how I feel!” I get to verse 5.
“But….”
Even though David feels that God has forgotten him, abandoned him, he still trusts in God. He still rejoices in God’s salvation. He still sings to the Lord.
In spite of a devastating feeling, David still believes in God as his Savior.
That’s the kind of faith I want to have.
Image courtesy of photobucket.com
Thankfully, the Holy Spirit who gave this kind of faith to David also gives this kind of faith to me.
I will trust.
I will rejoice.
I will sing.

No comments: