Retweet

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Mowed Down by God

“He will be like rain falling on a mown field, like showers watering the earth.” – Psalm 72:6mowing2

Mowing my yard where I grew up was a chore. We had a pretty big back yard. It would take about 2 hours to mow the whole yard with a push-mower. I would divide the yard up into sections because that seemed to make things go a little faster. I guess it’s the sense of accomplishment that achieves this effect. First I would mow a square section right in back of the house. Then I would get the section adjacent to that all the way back to the property line in the back of the yard. Then I would move to a sort-of square in the back corner. Finally I would get the section next to the garage. As I was cutting this last section, it’s shape reminded me of the state of Nevada.

Every Saturday I would have to mow the grass. Not much has changed. Each week I have to mow the grass at my own house as well. In the early Spring I do a silly thing. I put down lawn fertilizer and the result is that when it rains I end up having to mow the grass twice a week.

In Psalm 72, the “king” is compared to a rain failing on a mown field. Walking in a yard that has been newly mowed and after a rain is an exhilarating experience. A quietness seeps over you. Birds sing softly in the trees as water drips from the leaves. Taking your shoes and socks off, you walking through the wet grass and you can feel the life between your toes.

The “king” of Psalm 72 possibly two kings. First King Solomon. He is noted, in most Bibles, as the author of this Psalm and it is a prayer asking God to bless his reign. The second king could be the “King of kings.” Jesus Christ is seen all over the Old Testament, especially in the Book of Psalms. This Psalm could be outlining some of the attributes of Jesus as Messiah-King.

Jesus is like a shower on a newly mown field. He waters and feeds us with His love and blessings. He sustains us with His life-giving showers as He forgives our sins. He takes care of us. At times we must be “mown” – a rather violent treatment that is beneficial for growth. A lawn that is not regularly mown grows to a certain point but then begins to choke itself. God, in His perfect justice and love, disciplines us – “mows” us. And Jesus in His perfect salvation and love showers us with forgiveness and blessing.Lawn Service_clip_image001

“You heavens above, rain down righteousness; let the clouds shower it down. Let the earth open wide, let salvation spring up, let righteousness grow with it; I, the LORD, have created it.” – Isaiah 45:8

No comments: