Retweet

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Insanity

One definition of insanity is doing something over and over again expecting a different results. straight_jacket_250x251

I can understand trying something twice or thrice with the hope that “if at first you don’t succeed, try, try again.”

But there has to come a time when I realize that doing certain things the same way and hoping for a more successful outcome is, at best, a waste of time, and at worse, a tremendous waste of the resources that God has graciously given me.

As a creature of habit, doing something different is hard for me. I’ve been trained to do certain things in a certain way. Many times, this is a good thing. For example, I’ve been celebrating Christmas the same way for the last 15 years. However, I’ve never looked for a different outcome at Christmas.

But leading people, preaching, teaching – these are things that I’ve also been trained to do in a specific way. And I’ve been looking for a different outcome over the years – a more successful outcome.

I want to lead people into a more personal and active relationship with Jesus Christ. I want to preach sermons that engage more people in ways that the Holy Spirit can more readily use to make people disciples of Jesus Christ. I want to teach people about living the full life that Jesus promised.

15 years ago, I graduated from seminary thinking that I had all the answers about how to do all three of these things successfully. Now I’ve reached the point where I can admit “I don’t know nuthin’.”

I tried to do it the way I learned at seminary. I read books, journals, resources. I went to seminars, symposia, and conferences.

In the spirit of 1970’s British comedy troop, my leading, preaching, and teaching is ready “now for something completely different.”

This should be interesting.

No comments: