Retweet

Saturday, March 14, 2009

Age

I’m turning a year older today. My youngest son turned a year older on Friday. So, naturally (at least to me), I was thinking about age. 100candles As I’ve reached my mid-forties, I am pleasantly surprised to find that I feel better now than I have ever felt before, physically and otherwise. I guess it has something to do with eating better, taking better care of my body by exercising, and generally enjoying life – a lot – because of my beautiful (and younger) wife and my three sons.

We were talking about age and heaven in my oldest son’s religion class this past week. The question usually comes up in similar contexts – what age will we be in heaven? Will we age? Will we get older? What will we look like?

All very good questions to which I do not have very good answers.

But hey, this is not a new question. St. Paul was asked this question and he gave it a “kind of” answer in 1 Corinthians 15. I say “kind of” because he says it is “foolish,” and leaves it at that. I think that it is “foolish” in the context of the reason the question was asked – the idea that there was actually no resurrection. Even St. Paul, though, reveals he doesn’t know the answer to the question.

How about St. John? Maybe he has the answer?

“Beloved, we are God’s children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when he appears we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he is.” (1 John 3:2).

Nope, St. John doesn’t know either.

So I would say we are free to speculate but that’s about all we can do. I would also say we should not worry about it. In 1 Corinthians 13 St. Paul talks about being “fully known” and I think it means much more than just “I will know St. Paul and will be known by my family, etc.” But I think part of it is that we will recognize each other, so I will know my sons in heaven, they will know me, etc..

But again, it will be so much more and beyond mere recognition.

Yes, birthdays can make you stop and think about age and aging. That’s what I’m thinking about today, a little bit. But I will also be thinking about being with my wife and boys, celebrating life and being happy that we’re together. We worshipped together last night with about 50 other Redeemer family members and are enjoying our Sabbath rest today as the gift of God that it is.

Thank you for your birthday wishes

as well as your continue prayers and support. I give thanks to God for you!

©2009 True Men Ministries

No comments: