Retweet

Saturday, March 29, 2008

Book Nook

Every so often, I will post some thoughts about the books that I'm reading.

Beyond Band of Brothers: The War Memoirs of Major Dick Winters, by Richard Winters and Cole Kingseed.

If you liked the HBO Series Band of Brothers, and read Stephen Ambrose's book that inspired it, this book is the logical "next read." It covers the same stuff in Ambrose's book but adds the stories left out. If you like war memoirs, this is a must-read. If you want to know about leadership, and learn how to be a leader, than this is also a must-read. This is my main book right now, and it is fascinating. As we get further and further away from World War II and the heroic men and women who fought this war, we need books like these (and the work of people like Tom Hanks, Steven Speilberg and Stephen Ambrose) to remind us of "where we've been." The best part of this book is how Dick Winters is adament that his qualities of leadership were profoundly shaped by family and faith. He makes a point several times to reiterate how important it was during the the war that he attended church every week (when possible).

Raising Dad, by Thom S. Rainer and Art Rainer.

My boys gave this book to me for Christmas, and I've been reading a little at a time. The concept is interesting - what fathers & sons learn from each other. I'm certainly interested in that! But I haven't gotten far enough to really give a good review.

Every Man's Marriage, by Steve Arterburn and Kenny Luck with Mike Yorkey.

I really get a lot out of the "Every Man" series - I've read Every Man's Battle and Every Man God's Man. This book is candid about how one man practically killed his marriage and how Christ brought it back to flourish and grow. I'm about half-way through it. More on this later.

First Man: The Life of Neil A. Armstrong, by James R. Hansen.

This is the authorized biography of the first man on the moon. It is a well written biography. I was disappointed in learning more about the man Neil Armstrong, who comes across as an apathetic agnostic when it comes to God and things spiritual. He certainly had confidence in himself as an engineer and pilot. Like Beyond Band of Brothers, books like this are important as we get further and further away from the events that shaped our country and our culture.

No comments: